On Fri, Jul 13, 2012 at 12:08 PM, Michael Stahnke <stah...@puppetlabs.com>wrote:

> As many of you have doubtless noticed, Puppet 3 and Facter 2 have been
> sitting
> in RC (Release Candidate process) for a long time. That's about to change,
> but
> they won't be getting released as they currently stand. Puppet 3 and
> Facter 2
> have been pulled out of the RC process after we recognized that the
> performance
> needed to be worked on and the reworked pluginsync was not going to solve
> the
> problems that we had aimed for it to solve. What this means is the Facter
> 2.0rc and Puppet 3.0rc branches will be removed, and work will be targeted
> at
> the Facter 2.x and Puppet 3.x branches. When they are ready for release we
> will
> restart their rc process, continuing from the last rc tag.
>
> In order for us to be able to concentrate on getting things right, we are
> going
> to concentrate all of our efforts on 3.0 until it is out. After it is out
> we'll
> move to an alternating release cadence between the Puppet 2.7/Facter 1.6
> series
> and the Puppet 3.x/Facter 2.x series. At this point Puppet 2.7/Facter 1.6
> will
> be in bug fix only mode, all new features will go into the Puppet
> 3.x/Facter
> 2.x series.
>
> One reason for the Puppet 3 and Facter 2 (and Hiera 1) releases to to
> reset our
> version number system to match SemVer (seehttp://semver.org for more
> information about what exactly that is, if you are not familiar with it).
> At
> the moment it is still a little bit up in the air how we are going to try
> focus work on 3.0.y bug fixes and new, backward compatible features for
> later
> 3.x versions. We'll keep you posted as we come up with a plan.
>
> If you have questions or concerns, please let us know.

To follow up on this, I removed the 3.0rc branch from the main Puppet Labs
repository.  Patrick and I merged the change set present in this branch
into the 3.x branch itself.

This means the merge targets are now "back to normal" rather than "in
release candidate."  Please review the following information for a
refresher about what goes where.

If you have code that has not been merged, please follow these guidelines
to answer the question, "What is my merge base?"

* Merge up will happen as: 2.6.x => 2.7.x => 3.x => master

* Bug fixes should target 2.7.x at the earliest.
* 2.6.x is only for security fixes.

* If you're developing something that should _not_ be released in 3.0.0,
then use master as your merge base.  (Note, this scenario is a smell for
Puppet Labs employees.  If you're working on something that shouldn't be
released in Puppet 3.0.0 then please ask yourself, "Am I working on the
right thing?")
* If you're working on a bug that affects 2.7, use 2.7.x as your merge base.
* If you're working on a security issue that affects 2.6, use 2.6.x as your
merge base.  Only security related changes should go into 2.6.x at this
point.
* For everything else, use 3.x as your merge base.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
-Jeff McCune