Le 24 sept. 2012 à 15:58, jcbollinger a écrit :

> On Saturday, September 22, 2012 3:36:35 AM UTC-5, Fabrice Bacchella wrote:
>
> Le 21 sept. 2012 à 17:05, jcbollinger a écrit :
>

>> On Friday, September 21, 2012 4:35:41 AM UTC-5, Fabrice Bacchella wrote:
>> I'm starting it by hand. It's the same process (pid 1845) that is nulling
>> stderr that is writing to it, so it's not related to the way it's launched,
>> --debug provides no help.
>>
>> Using strace is not a long term solution. It was used to understand why
>> Puppet keep failing silently. I still not know why it's failling. But I know
>> why it's silent : error message going to /dev/null, instead of syslog.
>>

>> Are you running "puppet agent" or just "puppet"?  It should be the former.
>
> puppet agent.
>

> Then my next best best is that Puppet is not finding its configuration file.
> By default, it should be looking for /etc/puppet/puppet.conf.  Alternatively,
> perhaps there is something inconsistent in the options you are using.  I
> agree that it's surprising that messages are not going to syslog, and I
> encourage you to file a ticket.  In the meantime, the best way to
> troubleshoot your actual problem is to run with --no-daemonize so that output
> goes to the terminal.
>

> John

My main problem was not with puppet failing, I managed to find the cause, and
it was my own mistake. I was much more suprised by the output to a null'ed
stderr. I think that should never happen. Either fd2 is still stderr and it's
OK to send message to it, or it's been redirected to /dev/null and no one
should write to it.