On Monday, September 24, 2012 6:11:33 PM UTC-5, Fabrice Bacchella wrote:

> My main problem was not with puppet failing, I managed to find the cause,
> and it was my own mistake. I was much more suprised by the output to a
> null'ed stderr. I think that should never happen. Either fd2 is still
> stderr and it's OK to send message to it, or it's been redirected to
> /dev/null and no one should write to it.

And thus I recommended that you file a ticket.  When Puppet is running in
daemon mode it does normally direct diagnostic messages to syslog.  You
seem to have discovered a window when messages are no longer being sent to
the terminal but are not yet being delivered to syslog.

I cannot speak specifically to why fd 2 is redirected to /dev/null, but it
is fairly likely that this is a function of the Ruby implementation, not a
knowing choice by Puppet.

John