Hi Stephen,

On Monday, 22 October 2012 21:28:23 UTC+2, Stephen Gran wrote:

> Turn the question around for a moment: why do you have so many file
> resources?

These systems are puppet-controlled from the /etc/inittab through the whole
boot process and each and every service startup file definition, along with
their packages, which are compiled (unfurtunately, this requires at least
one file resource - install script) and service configuration files.
Why? Let's put it this way: if you have a cluster of redundant machines,
you can do a rolling upgrade to newer OSes etc. If not, then uptime must
not be disturbed and this is the only way we can run recent/fresh software
on quite old distributions (install bare! distro, no libs, then compile
everything in a controlled maner.).

I hope I have given you a decent answer, because Borat tends to disagree
with me:)
http://twitter.com/DEVOPS_BORAT/status/209720453881798656

b.