On Tuesday, November 13, 2012 2:46:09 PM UTC-6, JGonza1 wrote:

> Added new clients that are behind a firewall and none of them are updating
> with the configurations from the puppet master. I get the message below
> from the client when I run command puppet agent --server
> ct-eng-pup.caretools.ent --test. What ports need to be opened for client to
> talk to puppet master. The puppet client had no problem get aa certificate
> from the puppet client but it will not update.
>
> info: Caching catalog for pdlnx-pntp02.kareoprod.ent
> info: Applying configuration version '1351815499'
> notice: Finished catalog run in 0.10 seconds
> #

Those messages do not reflect any kind of problem with contacting the
master (as would be expected since the client was able to have its
certificate signed).  Instead, they suggest that the master is delivering
an empty catalog.  That would arise from a problem with your Puppet
manifests, not with your firewall.

> [...]
>           - Success
>           - 0
>         - - total
>           - Total
>           - 0
>         - - failure
>           - Failure
>           - 0
>     time: !ruby/object:Puppet::Util::Metric
>       label: Time
>       name: time
>       values:
>         - - total
>           - Total
>           - 0.221700026885986
>         - - config_retrieval
>           - Config retrieval
>           - 0.221333026885986
>         - - filebucket
>           - Filebucket
>           - 0.000367
>     resources: !ruby/object:Puppet::Util::Metric
>       label: Resources
>       name: resources
>       values:
>         - - changed
>           - Changed
>           - 0
>         - - failed_to_restart
>           - Failed to restart
>           - 0
>         - - restarted
>           - Restarted
>           - 0
>         - - total
>           - Total
>           - 7
>         - - out_of_sync
>           - Out of sync
>           - 0
>         - - failed
>           - Failed
>           - 0
>         - - skipped
>           - Skipped
>           - 6
>         - - scheduled
>           - Scheduled
>           - 0
>     changes: !ruby/object:Puppet::Util::Metric
>       label: Changes
>       name: changes
>       values:
>         - - total
>           - Total
>           - 0
>   puppet_version: 2.7.19
>   report_format: 2
>   resource_statuses:
>     "Filebucket[puppet]": !ruby/object:Puppet::Resource::Status
>       change_count: 0
>       changed: false
>       evaluation_time: 0.000367
>       events: []
>       failed: false
>       file:
>       line:
>       out_of_sync: false
>       out_of_sync_count: 0
>       resource: "Filebucket[puppet]"
>       resource_type: Filebucket
>       skipped: false
>       tags:
>         - filebucket
>         - puppet
>       time: 2012-11-13 12:23:01.972617 -08:00
>       title: puppet
>     "Schedule[weekly]": !ruby/object:Puppet::Resource::Status

I think you are misreading that.  As far as I can tell, it explicitly
reports that there were zero failures in each of several categories it
covers.  Furthermore, if you are getting reports from the agent then that
is additional evidence that communication between the agent and master is
working fine.  You do not have a firewall problem here.

Most likely the certnames (== hostnames by default) presented by the
affected nodes do not match any node blocks in your top-level manifests.
The master's log should show more clearly and succinctly which nodes are
requesting catalogs, including, I think, their certnames.  Compare those to
your node blocks, and / or create a 'default' node to support
otherwise-unmatched nodes.

John