On Saturday, June 22, 2013 11:47:13 AM UTC+2, Wolf Noble wrote:

> I'd like to say I really like the intent behind this.
>
> Yes, a name is important. So is continuity. I believe the underlying goal
> is to provide a collection of reference material. Once the skeleton of this
> material is generally agreed upon, it can be used as guidelines to the
> community for how to implement a common set of functionality with
> performance, and the greatest quantity of interoperability in mind.
>
> How is this a bad thing?
>
> The demonstrated example shows plenty of well thought out functionality.
> How might we better implement these functional knobs and levers?

Yes, that's the kind of things I'd like to discuss.

> Lets go beyond the fact that the only reason we call knobs, switches, and
> levers what we do is that communally we agreed that this long-ish thing
> protruding from this surface over here should be called a lever, that this
> definitive state toggle be called a switch, and this round, grabbable
> twisty thing here should be called a knob. Names are important, but not
> just because they're names, they're icons of functionality.
>
> Consistently referring to a lever as a lever provides more intuitive
> context, but doesn't change how it operates. Does it do the same thing if
> you call it a widget? Sure! Does it help with the goal of communally
> establishing conventions of grounding and interoperability? Not so much.
>
> So, on the one hand, no, this conversation is not purely about naming
> conventions. On the other, I don't think that's the point to focus on.
>
> I can absolutely see the value in a few sets of versioned
> "interoperability reference" modules, which provide one a good working
> model of how to provide specific bits of functionality in as flexible a
> manner as necessary.
>
> There are several different good module paradigms out there. I feel that
> fragmentation of design and implementation hinders the community more than
> a little bit. It confuses it, at the very least.
>
> I do not believe a 'one-size-fits-all' paradigm would do us all that much
> good here either. You'd likely always be one side or the other of too much
> scaffolding for simple modules, and not enough flexibility for complicated
> ones.

Agree.

> I believe this means a few levels of module complexity would need to be
> modeled. Then the transitions between those states would be more
> straightforward. Someone could expand the functionality of your module with
> greater ease and consistency.

Totally agree.

> I would love to see other examples which provide similar levels of
> implemented functionality.

Actually it would be interesting, and actually is something that is
definitively planned, to explore, different sample modules for different
kind of applications: for example Java/Rails apps, or more complex cases,
where you need defines but maybe also types and providers, also to validate
and test the naming and functional choices.

> (... (:(: and then the bikeshedding and performance holy wars can really
> get going :):) ...)
>
> What other good ways are there to easily write unit tests to validate the
> different behaviors of a module without parameters?
> Facts?
> Limited scope/functionality subclasses?

I still can't figure out how to make a reusable module without parameters
and without explicit hiera calls inside.
I'd really be interested in seeing an example.

> This is a very exciting subject of conversation. I am thankful to everyone
> participating in it for their thoughts and contributions.

I'm looking forward for your suggestions on:
https://docs.google.com/a/lab42.it/document/d/1D4OqEI5iuGJe63ODU91N6rnFKcxVAg1sAWbaQrGBlWA

al