I'm confused at your snippets because they don't seem right. For instance,
you show:

#log_special::log_vars: "test"
$log_vars=log_vars,

But that doesn't look syntactically correct... I'm pretty sure that would
fail to compile.

Anyway, I think if this really is what your yaml looks like:

log_special::log_vars:
    a: - 'jklkl'
       - 'test'

Then in your pp manifest, you'd want to have something like this:

$log_vars = hiera_hash('log_special::log_vars', false)

if ($log_vars) {

  $array = $log_vars['a']

}

And then $array should be an array containing 'jklkl' and 'test'.

Chris