I've gone through the upgrade check list for puppet at this URL:
http://docs.puppetlabs.com/guides/upgrading.html

I first tries 2.7 -> 3.3.x but that had the same issue as below and I
decided that maybe the jump was too big and I should go from 2.7 -> 3.0.x -
3.2.x -> 3.3.x

But I'm getting some weird behavior with my certs even when I go from
2.7.20 -> 3.0.3
After upgrading the puppet-server package using yum all of my puppet agents
get this error whether I remove the certs or not.

Exiting; no certificate found and waitforcert is disabled

I autosign our certs with the autosign.conf file and this works if I go
nack to 2.7.20.
I clean out the client certs with 'rm -rf /var/lib/puppet/ssl'

Here are my specs:
RHEL 6.3
puppet - 3.0.2-1
puppet-server - 3.0.2-1
puppetdb - 1.5.2-1
passender - see below

[root@puppet puppet]# gem list
daemon_controller (1.1.1)
fastthread (1.0.7)
json (1.5.5)
passenger (4.0.21)
rack (1.5.2)
rake (10.0.3)

PS. If I run the agent standalone using puppet apply everything works just
fine. Or if I downgrade my puppet master back to 2.7.20 it also works well.

Please let me know if anymore info or config files are needed.