Thanks Johan and Martin.  I looked at the links you sent, but this is what
I have already found and it really did not provide any new insights.

The main problem I am having is that what I put in rspec code should be
working but just does not. I have even hard-coded in a true or false
return, but the spec script just does not respond.

If anyone happens to have a good rspec language / syntax reference that
would be greatly helpful.  The "The RSpec Book" gives some good examples,
but not a language reference.

Also I cannot seem to get any of the debug code from the net to work with
puppet and rspec together to get some useful output to find the error. Does
anyone have a good link to that information?

I am just a lowly sys admin given the task to hack Puppet to get it to work
correctly on HPUX for user management.