On 5/5/2014 7:32 AM, Alex Scoble wrote:
If you are trying to follow Puppet Labs recommended best practices, it's
definitely a moving target.

I find it best not to change my workflow or methodology until it makes sense on my system regardless of what the community or even Puppet Labs has said.

A few of the things I have completely ignored,
 - inheriting params.pp class to get local variables
 - ENC
 - parameterized classes
 - 99.8% of Forge modules
 - data bindings

A few of the things I do/have done that Puppet no longer recommends or has never recommended,
 - use stages
- include subclasses to change behavior of modules, class postfix::config::relay inherits postfix::config {
 - specific hiera calls
 - used RVM to run my Puppet master

On the flip side I did have a 2000+ line commit last year when I switched over to role/profile. However the massive benefits in organization (at least for me) were worth the time investment. At some point I'll probably bite the parameterized classes/data binding bullet as well.

I ran across a paper recently with the following quote. I think keeping this definition of Engineering in mind would be a good thing for the Puppet community instead of searching for the elusive best solution.

http://www.lunduniversity.lu.se/o.o.i.s?id=24965&postid=2968043
"Engineering has no hint of the absolute, the deterministic, the guaranteed, the true. Instead it fairly reeks of the uncertain, the provisional and the doubtful. The engineer instinctively recognizes this and calls his ad hoc method “doing the best you can with what you’ve got,” “finding a seat-of-the-pants solution,” or just “muddling through”. (Koen, 1985, p. 23)."

Ramin