On Tuesday, November 4, 2014 9:32:32 AM UTC-6, Georgi Todorov wrote:

> On Tuesday, November 4, 2014 9:50:15 AM UTC-5, jcbollinger wrote:
>>
>> By far the biggest difference is is File retrieval time.  This will be
>> for File resources where you specify content via a 'source' parameter
>> rather than via a 'content' property.  The agent must make a separate
>> request to the master for each such file, and those are collectively taking
>> a long time.  Most likely they are backing up behind a bottleneck, so that
>> much of the time consumed per node is actually spent waiting for service.
>>

> I agree, there is something odd about File retrieval. We are creating a
> total of 10 autofs maps, however when I run trace, it looks like every
> separate entry creates a concat::fragment (puppetlabs-concat) which is
> later combined into a single file. I'm not too familliar with what
> concat::fragment does, but a quick scan of the code shows a lot of "source"
> references.

The Concat module provides a mechanism for managing a single file as a
collection of separately-managed pieces, or 'fragments'.  This has a number
of advantages, mostly deriving from the ability to spread management of a
single target file across multiple manifests, modules, or even separate
nodes.  As a practical matter, though, the implementation manages each
fragment as a separate File, and combines them on the client.

Those fragment files, one per Concat::Fragment resource, can use either
'content' or 'source', as specified for that fragment.  I find it a bit odd
that an autofs module would choose the 'source' option (with a 'puppet://*'
URL as its value), but if it's indeed doing so then perhaps that is
generating large numbers of tiny, 'source'd files.

> We might have to just go to template files, instead of using the autofs
> module. That might take care of all our issues.

It might.  Or you might find an alternative autofs module that operates
differently.  Or perhaps you could just use your current autofs module in a
different way.

John