I've already stated my opinions on the AIO packages, and as long as the
gems are still available, I can maintain the systems that I currently
maintain.  I don't like that the puppetserver will be special and need to
use the puppetlabs packages, but I can live with it.

When you have Linux systems with CentOS 5, Debian 6 thru sid, Ubuntu
10.4-14.04, running on i386, AMD64, armv6 (RaspberryPi), and then a bunch
of Mac OS workstations that range from 10.6 thru 10.11, the gem packages
are the only consistent way of controlling which version is installed.  I'm
a little concerned with the new C++ based facter and what headaches that's
going to cause.

I do look forward to testing out puppet 4.2!  4.0 had no easy upgrade path.
 The newer puppetserver helped by translating the old API calls to the new
calls, but 4.1 was still not production ready with it's major issues with
handling facts and puppetdb.  With all the issues that puppet 4 has had,
along with the introduction of the AIO packages, upgrading from puppet 3
has been a non-starter.