On Tuesday, June 23, 2015 at 6:03:50 PM UTC-7, Eric Sorenson wrote:

> I love metapackages too, but short of porting yum to Windows, Mac OS X,
> and
> Solaris I don't see how they meet those requirements.

That's certainly reasonable. Cross-platform is hard to do.

> If I¹m only doing a security update to facter, I shouldn¹t have to
> replace a
> > gigantic bundle with whatever else it pulls In.  I can see you release
> > management people hating this later, as well as security teams.
>
> So the puppet-agent package is 17 megabytes on EL7, so "gigantic" is a bit
> of
> an overstatement here. Agreed that the release pipeline is more
> complicated,
> and I can definitely understand the desire to just update the one thing
> that
> needs a bugfix.

It doesn't change too often.  That's not massive by today's measures.
Smaller than the far more frequent big firefox updates (ugh).

> > I suspect this confusion will hinder deployment ­ the AIO packaging is
> > certainly in the cons category for us.
>
> I really want to understand this, because it's a big deal. (My life goal
> at
> this point is to get as many people as possible upgraded to Puppet 4, so
> anything that gets in the way of that is a problem!) There's been a bunch
> of
> different points in the thread, some of them about the numbering and some
> about the packaging itself; what would reduce the confusion for you?

What's hard is that you're trying to name a collection of differently
numbered pieces as an aggregate version for that 'collection', which is why
unifying your versioning will help a lot.

Release everything puppet-4.x with a 4.x.something version identifier for
your AIO bundles.
That will help a lot.   And don't forget to catch up all your docs to only
use the 4.x terminology :-)