grant centauri said :
> quick note:
>
> is it possible to include qsynth/fluidsynth?
>
> or is there already a soundfont host on the system?
>
> its GM soundfont is kind of big, but i noticed one
> named TimGM6mb that is quite small on the system already.
> Is that what timidity uses, and if so, can timidity host
> soundfonts?  I've been using Qsynth for a while and have
> grown to like it, but perhaps its time to learn timidity.

Timidity is provided as the default, small basic MIDI player. It's good
enough to preview and play mid files and we provide just a very basic
set of sounds. Maybe we could add more collections on the DVD/USB.

I do not use fluidsynth, but I think it's basically the same but with
more control over the sound samples and better integration with other
music apps?

(I thought it was already in Puredyne)

> On 5/20/11, grant centauri <gcenta...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Managed to get a successful boot after a manual install of Grub and
> > changing
> > the grub.cfg.  i think boot was failing because something happened during
> > the first boot using qemu that corrupted things on the live-rw partition.
> > made a new one and am now running inside Gazpacho from USB, semi-made with
> > the make-live-device.sh
> >
> > it seems a bit slower than i remember 9.11 being, but it may have to do
> > with
> > my hacky build.  otherwise looks nice!
> >
> > On Fri, May 20, 2011 at 3:40 AM, grant centauri
> > <gcenta...@lincolnix.net>wrote:
> >
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> I should probably do this over at launchpad, but i'm still unfamiliar
> >> with
> >> that whole process.  Beginning to understand though.
> >>
> >> I just grabbed the broth source with bzr, successfully built an image and
> >> then decided to try and use the chroot/usr/sbin/make-live-device.sh
> >> script
> >> to make a live USB.  Perhaps some of my issues are from not doing it in a
> >> puredyne environment, but I thought it should work.
> >>
> >> A number of issues which I would be willing to help fix, if pointed in
> >> the
> >> right direction:
> >>
> >> 1. i did not have parted on my build environment.  the script still did
> >> something, it would probably be good to check for that and stop the
> >> script
> >> first.
> >>
> >> 2. the grub install was a bit weird.  i ended up with a grub.cfg file
> >> that
> >> was blank, and even when filling it in with the information in
> >> /extra/grub2
> >> I popped up into a grub shell rather than a boot environment.  I ended up
> >> manually installing grub to the first partition.
> >>
> >> 3. the grub.cfg included is not right.  there's already a bug report on
> >> this.  I had to change the vmlinuz1 and initrd1.img and the set root to
> >> {hd0,1}, i also had to remove the search --no-floppy line... there's
> >> probably a better fix for that.
> >>
> >> I am willing to do the work but probably need some hints as to where to
> >> begin.
> >>
> >> oh, and boot failed here, at least using qemu:
> >>
> >> Begin: Running /scripts/init-bottom ... done.
> >> /etc/default/local: 1: **L**
> >>                                          : not found
> >> init: mountall main process (1864) terminated with status 127
> >>

> ---
> Puredyne@goto10.org
> http://identi.ca/group/puredyne
> irc://irc.goto10.org/puredyne