> slower to boot or respond, or load app?

load apps.  after playing a bit it was fine.  just the initial menu loading
seemed slow, but there's a lot of stuff there.  nothing out of the ordinary,
its actually been a while since i've run puredyne live USB, i've been using
puppy which loads everything to ram, so its snappy.

> BTW, I test isos with virtualbox-ose, it works nicely.

i'll check it out.  debian-live suggested qemu/kvm so i've been using that,
also trying to boot directly from the USB to test it rather than reboot.
that may have issues.

fluidsynth is primarily for hosting soundfonts and has Qsynth as a nice
GUI.  apparently timidity does the same thing, so either is fine.  I've
found some pretty decent sample sets of acoustic instruments that are nice
to use in conjunction with rosegarden or some other sequencer for more
traditional composition.  Its one of the areas I'm interested in, combined
with lilypond one could have a fairly high quality composition studio.
Maybe the subject for a branch?

I think fluidsynth/qsynth is pretty small so it might be worth including if
its not a hassle.  I think it was on the original puredyne I used, back in
the green days.  not a major issue though
---
Puredyne@goto10.org
http://identi.ca/group/puredyne
irc://irc.goto10.org/puredyne