On Thu, May 06, 2004 at 09:50:22AM -0600, Gavin Lowry wrote:
> Ok, I tried running the squeak.image through squeak from the GUI, but after setting
> the right port and then hitting save and exit, I get the message:
>
> Error: Failed to write image file (disk full?)
>
> I have plenty of disk space. Could this be an access issue? I'd appreciate any help
> you have to offer to a linux newbie.

Hi Gavin,

Welcome to Squeak! (and Linux)

When you hit "save and exit", Squeak will try to re-write the image file and
the changes file. These are the two files that preserve the state of your
Squeak system, and you probably have them installed somewhere in your own
personal directories on your Linux system. For example, on my Linux system
I have these files:

[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~/squeak/squeak3.7> ls -lt *5878*
-rw-r--r--    1 lewis    users    14069740 2004-04-06 10:48 Squeak3.7b-5878.image
-rw-r--r--    1 lewis    users    15739392 2004-04-06 10:48 Squeak3.7b-5878.changes

Based on the error on your system message, it looks like Squeak is trying to
write to its image file (the Squeak3.7b-5878.image file in my example above),
but does not have permission to write to the file. Jochen Rick explained how
to set the file permissions correctly to make this work. But based on your
your reply, there must be something else wrong.

If you can describe where your Squeak files are installed, perhaps one
of us can offer another suggestion. Also, I suggest that you re-read the
documentation and "readme" files for the Squeak Unix distribution. These
give a good explanation of how to install Squeak on a Linux system, and
you may be able to spot what is wrong by reading them.

Dave