Thanks, nvcc is actually on the path, which is why I found the message
confusing. I can type nvcc in bash and it runs and everything. I also did
"CUDA_ROOT='/usr/local/cuda'" in bash such that "echo $CUDA_ROOT" prints
"/usr/local/cuda". Also, usr/local/cuda definitely exists. So, it would seem
that I have taken care of both error conditions, and yet the message
persists.

--mrule