Thank you, I did not know, or had forgotten, that property of sudo. It
seems, however, that even after following your suggestion the behavior and
error messages are the same.

//nvcc exists in PATH
mr...@computer:~/installers/pycuda$ nvcc
nvcc fatal   : No input files specified; use option --help for more
information

//CUDA_ROOT is defined
mr...@computer:~/installers/pycuda$ export CUDA_ROOT='/usr/local/cuda/'
mr...@computer:~/installers/pycuda$ sudo -E sh -c 'echo $CUDA_ROOT'
/usr/local/cuda/

//make install can't see either
mr...@computer:~/installers/pycuda$ sudo -E sh -c make install
*** CUDA_ROOT not set, and nvcc not in path. Giving up.
make: *** [all] Error 1

mr...@nathan-tesla1:~/installers/pycuda$ sudo -E sh -c 'make install'
[same thing]

I've got things working well enough to proceed with work today, so, I guess
its ok for now. Still, it might be educational to know whats really
happening here.

thank you
--mrule