Paul Boddie wrote:
> On Monday 19 December 2011 23:41:14 Martin v. Löwis wrote:
>>> That's not a problem, I can match both on the domain and on the prefix
>>> -- and I can treat no prefix as yet another match for the prefix.
>>> So, wiki.python.org would lead to the python wiki, wiki.jython.org to
>>> the jython wiki, etc. plus there would be redirects from
>>> wiki.python.org/moin/* and wiki.python.org/jython/*.
>>
>> I think what MAL is saying is that you cannot have wiki.python.org/psf
>> point to one wiki, and wiki.python.org/ point to another one. If you
>> could, it would be ambiguous if wiki.python.org/psf/BoardAgenda
>> is a page in the PSF wiki, or in the Python Wiki.
>
> I don't remember the farmconfig limitations, but I'm pretty sure you could
> get
> Apache to handle this and point /psf to a specific Wiki instance before any
> other instance is offered a chance to handle it.
>
>> I'm not sure whether URL stability has been discussed yet in this
>> thread: it's absolutely necessary that the existing URLs continue
>> to work "forever", since people are linking to them. Making them
>> redirect would be an option if implementable.
>
> I'm also pretty sure that Anatoly mentioned URL stability. I think the
> simplification would be a reasonable enhancement.

Why not reverse this and redirect from the wiki.python.org/PageName
to wiki.python.org/moin/PageName for all page names that don't
start with (moin/|psf/|jython/) ?

That way you get your shortened URLs, but don't have to change the
way MoinMoin is configured or play with domain names and new
Apache virtual server setups.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Dec 20 2011)

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/