On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 11:24 AM, M.-A. Lemburg <m...@egenix.com> wrote:

> Paul Boddie wrote:
> >>
> >> I think what MAL is saying is that you cannot have wiki.python.org/psf
> >> point to one wiki, and wiki.python.org/ point to another one. If you
> >> could, it would be ambiguous if wiki.python.org/psf/BoardAgenda
> >> is a page in the PSF wiki, or in the Python Wiki.
> >
> > I don't remember the farmconfig limitations, but I'm pretty sure you
> could get
> > Apache to handle this and point /psf to a specific Wiki instance before
> any
> > other instance is offered a chance to handle it.
> >
> >> I'm not sure whether URL stability has been discussed yet in this
> >> thread: it's absolutely necessary that the existing URLs continue
> >> to work "forever", since people are linking to them. Making them
> >> redirect would be an option if implementable.
> >
> > I'm also pretty sure that Anatoly mentioned URL stability. I think the
> > simplification would be a reasonable enhancement.
>
> Why not reverse this and redirect from the wiki.python.org/PageName
> to wiki.python.org/moin/PageName for all page names that don't
> start with (moin/|psf/|jython/) ?

To me this proposal is like - 'Why have short URLs by default if we can
have a long ones?'
And I confirm that existing URLs will work "forever" and will redirect to
new shorter default page
names.

That way you get your shortened URLs, but don't have to change the
> way MoinMoin is configured or play with domain names and new
> Apache virtual server setups.

If I was a lazy admin, I'd love this suggestion, but can't agree as a user.
If Apache is bothersome to maintain - we can change it to Nginx to make the
application more portable.

If you're concerned about positive /moin/ advertisement effect, then from a
perspective of a Python web developer/admin, the /moin/ prefix looks
exactly like an anti-ad. "Why the heck is this prefix doing here if there
is already a wiki.* domain namespace?" "Does MoinMoin support domain names
mapping?" "Is it a software that is so hard to customize?"

So, we remove MoinMoin anti-ad, make wiki URLs simple for users and
preserve existing links from breaking. It is a fantastic deal for the small
cost of Apache reconfiguration. If you like the pitch, just say "O key" and
we'll close it. =)
--
anatoly t.