Hi Eduardo,

On 14/11/2018 15:28, Eduardo Ramos Fernandez wrote:
> Thanks for your reply. I am really interested in this since for large
> meshes become unfeasible to subdivide into linear elements  to do the
> post-processing. I think the best thing would be to include this
> functionality in "pyfr export" and export the polynomials information
> local to each cell to the VTU file with -d 1. This is desirable because
> working with the HDF5 format can be really slow to query for spatially
> dependent data, and in that respect , VTK provides space partitioners
> which are very useful to map coordinates to cells efficiently. I am
> willing to work on this and contribute to the project if you point me to
> the right place to look and if you provide me detailed information on
> how polynomial information is encoded in the HDF5 file and how can I
> reconstruct them. I think this is a valuable feature to have and I have
> seen at least another message in the mailing list related to this
> problem [1].

So things are a little bit more subtle than this.  Specifically, PyFR
permits elements to be curved.  Such elements are typically employed in
the vicinity of boundary layers.  A consequence of this is that a -d 1
subdivision does not necessarily constitute an accurate representation
of the geometry.

This greatly complicates the task of finding what element a given point
(x, y, z) is in.  Further, even once this has been determined some
additional work is required in order to determine the corresponding
location within the reference element (p,q,r) at which to evaluate the
solution polynomial.

In this sense subdivision remains a very good means of bypassing all of
these issues whilst simultaneously enabling one to use traditional
post-processing libraries which are designed for linear elements.

Although pyfr export is relatively slow (in the grand scheme of things)
this does not necessarily need to be the case.  In the past we have
written plugins which perform the subdivision extremely efficiently (and
in parallel) without having to write anything to disk.  The resulting
in-memory structures can then be passed to VTK or VTK-m for processing.

Regards, Freddie.