On Sat, Mar 15, 2008 at 8:45 PM, René Dudfield <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> You might need to move the light around, or move the objects around
> for the shadowing to work.  But I've managed to use other models for
> the floor and the object casting a shadow.

I haven't.  A single quad shadowing a 1024x1024 quad eludes me.

> Yeah, rendering to a texture might be able to work... but I can't
> think how at the moment.  Lots of different techniques to try out...
> there's a lot of papers on the subject - but the code isn't always
> working or existing at all to try it out.  I hate implementing things
> from papers without working examples... because sometimes they Make
> Shit Up (MSU)... hehe and it's wasted effort.

I've had random bits of code, which I tried to port from C to Python.  Then,
someone says that it doesn't work in C when I've spent five hours wondering
why their stupid code isn't running.

> On Sun, Mar 16, 2008 at 2:31 PM, Ian Mallett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > On Fri, Mar 14, 2008 at 3:11 PM, Casey Duncan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> [snip]
> >
> > > If you want real-time soft shadows (i.e., blurred) then you best bet
> > > is probably a custom shader, though you might be able to get a decent
> > > approximation by applying a rendered texture multiple times at
> > > different scales and opacities. With a shader you'll have ultimate
> > > control, however.
> > I imagine so, but actually, all I really want at this point is a working
> > method of getting something.  For example, I can't load my own models
> > without the shadows messing up.  Again, a single quad, 1 unit square,
> > shadowing a larger quad, 1024 units square, would be far more
> informative
> > than any demo--again, simplicity helps.

hehe, yeah.
> or
> glEnable(GL_JUST_WORK);

glEnable(GL_SHADOW)
glEnable(GL_DOOM3)
glEnable(GL_MEANING_OF_LIFE)

> I think if you place lights in certain places the shadows can look
> nice.  So for some uses it is pretty cool, and I guess it is fairly
> simple to code, and works fairly fast :)

Yep.  Shadows really help the 3D illusion.
Ian