Some major features I enjoy in using Sphinx:

- Nice reference documentation can be generated from python source/doc strings,
but you can also create reference docs directly as well.

- Nice formatting and syntax highlighting of code examples. It's also easy to
insert code from python modules into the docs automagically.

- Sphinx has very nice index support.

- You can actually run code examples to verify them, though strictly-speaking
this is not a sphinx or rst feature (it comes from doctest).

- You can generate both html and pdf docs from the same source.

- Creating links in the narrative docs to the applicable reference (e.g., a
method) is very easy.

- It generates a static web site, but includes a javascript search engine.

-Casey