Using gtk+-1.2.7,glib-1.2.7,gnome-python-1.0.53 on Redhat 6.1

I have a toplevel window that initially shows some status messages.
After it processes some data, it creates a table of widgets that control
the rest of the application.  The number of rows in the table depends on
the data.

How do I force the window to grow to the proper size such that all the
rows in the table are visible?  (I know that if I had created all the
widgets before the window was first created that the window would show
them all.)

I tried:

        self.hide()
        while events_pending():
            mainiteration()
        self.show()
        while events_pending():
            mainiteration()

The window briefly disappeared, but then re-appeared with the old size.

By the way, is there a FAQ for Gtk+ available?  The FAQ on www.gtk.org
seems empty.

--
Joe VanAndel