On Sun, 11 Jun 2000, Deirdre Saoirse wrote:

> On Mon, 12 Jun 2000, James Henstridge wrote:
>
> > If you don't have esound installed on your system when compiling
> > gnome, it won't use it.  If it was installed and you don't want gnome
> > to use it, start the control center and go to the sound properties
> > capplet and uncheck the "enable sound server startup" check box.
> > That should fix the problem.
>
> This presumes I'm using a gnome-based system, which I'm not. I've heard
> three people complaining that Glade can't open /dev/dsp. This is insane.

Well, it would be gnome that is using esound, so I thought that was a
fairly valid asumption.

> I don't care for that kind of bloat in my window manager or environment.

The control center is not that large.

> Heck, I can't even get the gnome-python stuff to run with instructions
> that worked fine for a year. Obviously, there's now even more
> dependencies than there used to be.

You can also make this change by hand by editing ~/.gnome/sound/system
(create it if it doesn't exist), and change the start_esd key to false in
the settings section.  So it might look something like:
  [settings]
  start_esd=false

Now none of the gnome apps should try to start esd.

James.

--
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
WWW:   http://www.daa.com.au/~james/