On Wed, Mar 26, 2003 at 08:02:16PM +0800, James Henstridge wrote:
> Antoon Pardon wrote:
>
> >Explain the difference between signals and events.
> >As far I as a complete newbie understand the two are
> >extremely similar to the point there is no reason
> >to have both. Which makes it confusing to have them
> >both without explanation about why having them both.

> Events are things sent to the application by the X server.  Signals are
> a generic notification system used in GTK (and related libraries).  GTK
> uses signals to notify your application when events come in.
>
> James.

I'm afraid it isn't more clear now.

>From what you write above I would infer that the programmer
only works with signals, events just being one way in which
signals can be generated.

But in the tutorial are two specification on how a callback
function should look like and these are different for
events and signals.

Anyway if my first interpretation of your words is correct
and my misunderstand is somewhere else I recommend you
change the following sentence in section 2.3:

  In addition to the signal mechanism described above, there is a set of
  events that reflect the X event mechanism. Callbacks may also be
  attached to these events. These events are:

I think it would be better to write something like:

  One way in which signals are used is for communicating
  X-events to the program.

--
Antoon Pardon