On Thu, Jul 1, 2010 at 6:52 PM, Jason Heeris <jason.hee...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm trying to get a PyGTK app going on a Windows XP installation. It
> requires PyGTK 2.17. I have Python 2.6 and GTK 2.18 set up just fine,
> but of course there's no binary installer for PyGTK 2.17. So I grabbed
> the source from FTP[1], along with PyGObject, intending to build it
> under MinGW.
>
> But it turns out I need PyGI to build PyGObject, and PyGI requires
> "Python development tools" to build, and searching the web for that
> problem yields nothing useful.
>
> So before I embark on some odyssey of pain trying to get this all to
> work, my question is: is there an easier way? A binary installer for
> PyGI for Windows? A binary installer for PyGTK 2.17?

Hi,

I have been generating the python installers for windows.

It really is a shame that there was not a stable release of PyGobject
and PyGtk for so long, so now we are in this situation where the last
non-pygi release of PyGObject was technically an unstable one. I would
not like predict we will see a PyGtk release before/around the time of
the last stable Gtk+-2.0 series.

This, and the fact that PyGtk has effectively been deprecated an
replaced with PyGI makes me nervous.

Anyway, the windows installers are built from the windows branch. I
update this branch when I have managed to build a new installer. I
have not yet succeeded in buildinga PyGI based on on windows. I need
to update setup.py to add the necessary first.

I will try to get to this over the next week but no promises.

> Please keep me CCd on replies.
>
> Cheers,
> Jason Heeris
>
> PS. By the way, I usually work on a Debian Squeeze/Sid system, with
> PyGTK 2.17.0 (installed from Debian repo). I thought maybe I could
> take the 2.17 tarball and build it somewhere in my home dir, but:
>
> ~/Projects/python-virt2/pygobject-2.21.4$ ../bin/python setup.py build
> --compiler=mingw32 --enable-threading --yes-i-know-its-not-supported
> bdist_wininst
> Error: distutils build only supported on windows

Yip. I build the windows installers on windows. It looks like you are
building on linux. If you want me to remove this restriction then
convince me that it works - I am not interested in supporting
configurations I cannot test.

John