On Thu, 2010-07-01 at 15:33 +0200, Tomeu Vizoso wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 1, 2010 at 15:13, John Stowers <john.stowers.li...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > On Thu, Jul 1, 2010 at 6:52 PM, Jason Heeris <jason.hee...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> I'm trying to get a PyGTK app going on a Windows XP installation. It
> >> requires PyGTK 2.17. I have Python 2.6 and GTK 2.18 set up just fine,
> >> but of course there's no binary installer for PyGTK 2.17. So I grabbed
> >> the source from FTP[1], along with PyGObject, intending to build it
> >> under MinGW.
> >>
> >> But it turns out I need PyGI to build PyGObject, and PyGI requires
> >> "Python development tools" to build, and searching the web for that
> >> problem yields nothing useful.
> >>
> >> So before I embark on some odyssey of pain trying to get this all to
> >> work, my question is: is there an easier way? A binary installer for
> >> PyGI for Windows? A binary installer for PyGTK 2.17?
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have been generating the python installers for windows.
> >
> > It really is a shame that there was not a stable release of PyGobject
> > and PyGtk for so long, so now we are in this situation where the last
> > non-pygi release of PyGObject was technically an unstable one. I would
> > not like predict we will see a PyGtk release before/around the time of
> > the last stable Gtk+-2.0 series.
> >
> > This, and the fact that PyGtk has effectively been deprecated an
> > replaced with PyGI makes me nervous.
>
> Which are the concerns?

I just sent a mail to the python-hackers list with some of my queries.
But my concerns are basically

* What is the state of the more advanced GObject features in PyGI
  - _gsignals_, interface implementation, signal overrides, etc?
* Has PyGI been used to port any non-trivial PyGtk apps yet?
* People who wrote plugins for GEdit, Totem, or anyone copying that
  plugin implementation are now out in the cold. The upgrade path for
  such plugins is "rewrite them to use PyGI"
* Support for MacOSX and Windows

John