Hello valiant PyKaraoke developers,

I just bought my wife her first karaoke CD which has 6 tracks with
vocals and the same 6 tracks without vocals.  The specific CD is #40024
from Chartbuster.  I followed the instructions listed here:
  http://www.kibosh.org/cdgtools/usage.php

to rip and encode the tracks, which I guess is required to play it.
Everything seemed to work, in that I didn't get any real warnings or
errors during the rip/encode.  However, playing the tracks is another
story...

When I play the produced mp3 files (with pympg), I get an all-black
window and static in the audio.  That's it.  However, when I play the
.cdg files (with pycdg), the video comes up just fine, but the audio
remains all static.  The static starts at approximately the time when
you'd expect the music to start.

I've tried performing the rip two different ways with cdrdao:

$ cdrdao read-cd --driver generic-mmc-raw --device /dev/hdc --read-subchan
rw_raw mycd.toc

$ cdrdao read-cd --driver generic-mmc-raw --device /dev/hdc --read-subchan
rw_raw --no-mode2-mixed mycd.toc

(Note that the `--read-subchan rw' option does not work with the drive I
have.)

Another curious data point... the .cdg files are actually smaller than
the .mp3 files.  I would have expected the opposite.  Is the audio track
not even making it into the .cdg?

I've run out of ideas... can anyone supply me with more?

thanks,
tim