I don't know how to rip a karaoke cd, but maybe I can
help you a little bit to understand some things.

When you use cdg files you need two files. One sound file
like "some_song.mp3" and a lyric-file like "some_song.cdg"
pycdg will look for a pair of files with the same name but
one has the cdg extension and the other the mp3 (or an
other sound format)

The cdg file contains just the lyrics and is only a few Mb large