On May 14, 2007, at 12:38 PM, Graham Higgins wrote:

> On 12 May 2007, at 02:57, Chris K Wensel wrote:
>
>> Was wondering if anyone has any experience using an RDF store with
>> Pylons?
>
> I've been using rdflib directly. I didn't see much point in hacking
> up a manager, triples is triples.

Well, yes and no. A common use case is to work with variable
bindings, i.e., results sets of queries, in precisely the same way
one does with SA. Even better, an ORM-like solution that binds to
results sets or "RDF objects".

You can, of course, just write rdflib code, but for anything beyond
the most trivial usages, the rdflib API is very primitive. (I'm not
talking here about rdflib's SPARQL support, as I haven't really used
that in a long time.)

> There once was a command-line WSGI SPARQL endpoint, SparqlServer.py.
> It used CherryPy's WSGI class and I snarfed a copy when I encountered
> the pointer --- but there no longer seem to be any references on
> Google:
>
> "A CherryPy implementation of the SPARQL Protocol for RDF Kendall
> Grant Clark, W3C, et. al. 2006"

Interesting. I never heard of that. The SPARQL protocol is *super*
trivial, intentionally, and a client or server shouldn't be more than
few lines of Python.

> I hacked it about for personal use as a Pylons controller action but
> it's not much use unless you have a populated triple store to point
> it at and some means of educating users about posing SPARQL queries.

One obvious thing to do beyond the protocol spec is support for graph
update; i.e., supporting a method to add, modify and delete triples
and graphs.

I think I included a pointer to ActiveRDF last post; but, if not:
http://activerdf.org/.

Cheers,
Kendall