On 7/4/07, Mike Orr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> But a Pylons program that uses a GPL library is not really "making
> improvements to a GPL program", it's just using it.

Just in case people are scratching their heads thinking, "But a Pylons
website is not 'releasing' the software so there's no GPL issues
involved," there are use cases for distributing a Pylons product
standalone.  E.g,, emergency responders with laptops working where
there's no Internet access or it's out.

And of course I'm not talking about using a blog library in this
situation.  But MySQL is GPL so it has the same issue.  MySQL is
dual-licensed so you can get a commercial license for it.  But why
would I pay for a license for a program I'm going to give away free?
Fortunately Durus turned out to be faster, more reliable, and easier
to install than MySQL's embedded mode -- *and* has an MIT-like license
-- so the issue was avoided.  But this is just one of many cases where
the GPL tries to be so clever it trips over itself and ends up hurting
the people it's supposedly trying to help.

--
Mike Orr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>