On Fri, Jan 11, 2008 at 10:32:20AM -0600, Ian Bicking wrote:
> Christoph Haas wrote:
> > Ben suggested trying ExtJS to me because the basic functionality of
> > ExtJS is close to that of jQuery. So I tried it and am pretty impressed
> > indeed. The raw powers of ExtJS are definitely the complex widgets. I
> > have never before seen an inline-editable grid with server-side sorting
> > and an AJAJ (AJAX with JSON instead of XML) paginator.
> >
> > I see two problems though:
> >
> > - ExtJS (all of it) is 500 KB large. At least Firefox, Konqueror and
> >   Opera load that pretty fast. But Firebug (a debugger addon for
> >   Firefox) has a lot of trouble with that and only a hacked version
> >   runs half decently.
> > - You will write your application in 90% Javascript and 10% Pylons.
> >   ExtJS just uses a backend like Pylons to exchange JSON information
> >   for typical CRUD operations. You can't just use formencode with
> >   htmlfill to validate your forms because you do not send HTML to
> >   the browser. So you have to do some other kind of validation and
> >   add Javascript for error handling. Don't get me started on that
> >   ugly "for" loops in Javascript. I hoped I'd never again have to
> >   see them since I dumped C.
>
> When sending form data via JSON, wouldn't you just send the same values
> that you'd pass to htmlfill?  That is, extjs does the form filling, so
> you don't need htmlfill for it.

Agreed. The htmlfill component is not needed here.

> It would require some extra infrastructure, but it also seems like you
> should be able to accept the form data and run validators on it, then
> return error messages in json, if you want incremental error messages.
> Some sort of infrastructure for Javascript validation using FormEncode
> schemas would be good, with or without extjs.

Can you imagine how one can use formencode validation to validate an
ExtJS form? I'm not that far actually in my test application so I'm not
sure whether they run a POST or serialize the fields in a GET request.
But if I could continue to use my schemas in ExtJS context with little
pain that'll be great.

Cheers
 Christoph
--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  www.workaround.org   JID: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
gpg key: 79CC6586         fingerprint: 9B26F48E6F2B0A3F7E33E6B7095E77C579CC6586