On Fri, Jan 11, 2008 at 05:51:00AM -0800, Mike Orr wrote:
> On Jan 11, 2008 4:48 AM, Lawrence Oluyede <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > What about
> > http://codespeak.net/lxml/dev/lxmlhtml.html#creating-html-with-the-e-factory
> > ?
> >
> > About the JavaScript thing: is it savvy to  havea "one for all"
> > dependency with one of the gazillion libraries out there?
>
> That's an issue.  But Pylons should have good Javascript support out
> of the box.  The question is how to accomplish this.  If there were
> one obviously best Javascript library, we'd use that, but each one
> seems to have different advantages.
>
> The only disadvantage of ExtJS I've heard is that it's so big, not
> that it's missing anything.  So that's an advattage.  Does it have
> good modularity; i.e., is it possible to load just the parts you use?

Ben suggested trying ExtJS to me because the basic functionality of
ExtJS is close to that of jQuery. So I tried it and am pretty impressed
indeed. The raw powers of ExtJS are definitely the complex widgets. I
have never before seen an inline-editable grid with server-side sorting
and an AJAJ (AJAX with JSON instead of XML) paginator.

I see two problems though:

- ExtJS (all of it) is 500 KB large. At least Firefox, Konqueror and
  Opera load that pretty fast. But Firebug (a debugger addon for
  Firefox) has a lot of trouble with that and only a hacked version
  runs half decently.
- You will write your application in 90% Javascript and 10% Pylons.
  ExtJS just uses a backend like Pylons to exchange JSON information
  for typical CRUD operations. You can't just use formencode with
  htmlfill to validate your forms because you do not send HTML to
  the browser. So you have to do some other kind of validation and
  add Javascript for error handling. Don't get me started on that
  ugly "for" loops in Javascript. I hoped I'd never again have to
  see them since I dumped C.

So, yes, ExtJS is mighty but for most applications it's too 2.0-ish.
ExtJS applications don't degrade at all. Although their developers made
great efforts in making the CSS and HTML good enough to work in all
browsers I could try (Firefox 2, Konqueror, Opera 9, IE 7) it's pure
bloat. Sure it's functional and I don't want to re-invent all those
wheels. But take a look at the default CSS: ~850 classes. And a normal
grid is a ten-level-deep monster of DIVs and TABLEs. Not sure I'll
finish my current project with ExtJS instead of jQuery.

</my 2¢>

 Christoph
--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  www.workaround.org   JID: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
gpg key: 79CC6586         fingerprint: 9B26F48E6F2B0A3F7E33E6B7095E77C579CC6586