On Sun, Sep 25, 2011 at 5:09 PM, Michael Merickel <mmeri...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Pyramid is only actually dependent on PasteScript for the paster command and
> scaffolds, so whether Paste gets ported or not isn't a big deal. The paster
> command is used to generate scaffolds, start servers and the convenient
> ability to "paster request" simulate a request into a conforming WSGI app.
> If we are interested in porting PasteScript it's definitely an undertaking
> because there is a large amount of code unused by a basic Pyramid
> application. It'd probably be worth taking the opportunity to look into some
> fairly large bw-incompat changes to PasteScript to knock its capabilities
> into something more manageable. For example, it currently uses Cheetah to do
> templates which is not py3k compatible whereas Jinja2 is compat and more
> actively developed/supported.
> PasteDeploy has been ported, so hopefully INI file syntax can remain
> relatively unchanged minus the fact that it may be unlikely paste.httpserver
> is ported.

I guess we should spec out what we're using in PasteDeploy and
PasteScript. Then we can either write a minimal tool(s) for Pyramid
that does that, or look for something that does that. If it's a
Pyramid tool, we can use Mako or Chameleon, which are already
dependencies. If it's a generic tool, we can probably use Tempita
because it's tiny.

I agree that for this purpose we don't want to change the INI syntax;
that would be a separate project. Although we could replace %(here)s
with {here} as minor improvement. One of the nastiest parts of
PasteDeploy was reading the INI file on demand the way Pylons does it;
that requires doing ugly imports and replicating what Paste does
because the functions were ill-named and didn't encapsulate the level
you needed. There's a Pyramid function now that loads an application
for you, but the part about reading a generic section and recognizing
Paste'isms like %(here)s isn't done, so that would be one of the
goals.

We need a standalone HTTP server of some sort to run out of the box.
If not paste.httpserver, what then?

--
Mike Orr <sluggos...@gmail.com>