On Sun, Sep 25, 2011 at 7:45 PM, Mike Orr <sluggos...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I guess we should spec out what we're using in PasteDeploy and
> PasteScript. Then we can either write a minimal tool(s) for Pyramid
> that does that, or look for something that does that. If it's a
> Pyramid tool, we can use Mako or Chameleon, which are already
> dependencies. If it's a generic tool, we can probably use Tempita
> because it's tiny.

I don't see any reason this tool would be Pyramid-specific. PasteScript is
generally useful and I haven't seen a compelling reason to change that.

> I agree that for this purpose we don't want to change the INI syntax;
> that would be a separate project. Although we could replace %(here)s
> with {here} as minor improvement. One of the nastiest parts of
> PasteDeploy was reading the INI file on demand the way Pylons does it;
> that requires doing ugly imports and replicating what Paste does
> because the functions were ill-named and didn't encapsulate the level
> you needed. There's a Pyramid function now that loads an application
> for you, but the part about reading a generic section and recognizing
> Paste'isms like %(here)s isn't done, so that would be one of the
> goals.

This is also entirely independent of the porting issue. PasteDeploy is
already ported so we aren't actively searching for a replacement for the
reason of running it on py3k.

> We need a standalone HTTP server of some sort to run out of the box.
> If not paste.httpserver, what then?

PasteScript already bundles the CherryPy WSGI server in its package. This
would probably be the logical thing to keep when looking for a default
cross-version compatible server to use. Most other servers I'm aware of are
not pure-python and have higher barrier to entry when setting up.

--

Michael