On Oct 13, 6:10 am, Iain Duncan <iainduncanli...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I challenge anyone who has dismissed it, to sit a client down in front of a
> traversal based CMS and watch them. Wow, you don't need to tell them
> anything, they get it right away because it looks and acts *just like their
> file system*. We, the *developers*, love Rest APIs. They make perfect clean
> sense, but look at those urls. They match our persistancy scheme, they match
> how the database thinks, not how the user thinks. As we try to sell people
> on our CMS compared to Drupal, the main selling point is honestly that they
> find administering a traversal based CMS very easy to understand, and they
> can find things easily. Users hate not being able to find how to changes
> something ( looking at you, Drupal, gag! )

It's funny you use this example. One of the main reasons we ended up
as Drupal users years ago was the fact it wasn't a "traversal" CMS
with a separate administrative backend. It was (and still is) hard to
find a CMS that doesn't have this implicit assumption that you place
content in a hierarchical tree/menu as if you were dealing with an old
file system like static site. That way we could have all kinds of
different areas with different architectures - eg flexible tagging
based knowledge bases, static tree like brochures, community driven
public and private user groups etc, and even have content appearing in
multiple contexts.

But now that Drupal 7 has possibly jumped the shark complexity wise,
and looking like it will be a massive upgrade effort for us from
Drupal 6, I'm starting to think more about using Pyramid and/or Plone.
Drupal is now looking almost as heavyweight and complex as Plone, and
these days Plone doesn't look (to my uneducated eyes) as rigid as it
used to.

Or I could treat our site not as a heavily customised CMS, but as a
custom webapp all of its own by hardcoding in our CMS configurations
and build it with Pyramid with some 3rd party libraries. ie have I
reached the point where the ongoing CMS customisation is more work
than recreating the subset of CMS functionality we need on top of a
lower level framework?

Pyramid has (looking from the outside at least) a lot of stuff that is
tempting eg: being able to use traversal and url dispatch together,
event hooks, a very flexible non-opinionated architecture, growing
momentum and a smart developer/user community. The flip side of all
this cool stuff is that it can seem a bit daunting.

I would be very interested in reading your experiences of traversal,
and how you combined it with RESTful backend stuff (I'm assuming that
part was based on URL dispatch).

Even information on how CMS like functionality is best built with
Pyramid would be highly appreciated. Are there any emerging libraries
or docs for handling the common parts of "Content Management" in
Pyramid. I suspect there is stuff happening in that area, but that
it's all a bit fragmented or immature at this stage. Is there any
desire for a higher level content management development community to
form around Pyramid?

--
Cheers
Anton