I was a big proponent of pip because it looked like where everything
was going, however I've all but abandoned it at this point in favor of
easy_install (without attempting to deal with buildout's doctest-style
documentation).

pip does not:
- support binary packages (for windows or scientific packages)
- integrate well with setup.py sub-commands (develop, install, test)

easy_install does not:
- support uninstalling things
- have a freeze operation

I delete virtualenvs when I mess up anyway, so I'll gladly sacrifice
uninstall support, and I can pin things in the setup.py if necessary
rather than freezing the entire environment.

Hopefully packaging (distutils2) solves everything, right?