we are on the road for distribution packages in our project. in our last
company this was also required (by us for every project ;) ) to deliver one
rpm/deb. it doesn't matter if you have a buildout or a maven sandbox.

good reasons are here:
http://hynek.me/articles/python-deployment-anti-patterns/
http://hynek.me/articles/python-app-deployment-with-native-packages/

a tutorial for easy package building is here:
http://aboutsimon.com/2012/04/16/building-a-python-deb-in-a-bootstrapped-ubuntu-chroot-with-fpm/

in my case i'm building a fabric task that compiles all dependency packages and
the application and builds debs. this is quite far, but not ready yet. using a
vm is comfortable as you can reset it in 4 seconds::

        vmrun revertToSnapshot /Users/Shared/vm/debian\ 6\ squeeze/Other\
Linux\ 2.6.x\ kernel.vmwarevm/ git_base_install \
                && vmrun start /Users/Shared/vm/debian\ 6\ squeeze/Other\
Linux\ 2.6.x\ kernel.vmwarevm/

also there is a second vm (a system-clone of staging or live then)  which does
not contain the compilation toolchain to test the produced deb.

when this fabric building work is done, the fabric task will move to jenkins
and run on commits to the master branch automatically. the result is a deb
package on the buildserver which can be installed on a staging, maybe
automatically (at least the staging). the concept with having a branch for
automatic releases is described here:
http://nvie.com/posts/a-successful-git-branching-model/ (in our last company
this worked really well for different projects. everyone knows: master
commit+version bump will result in a relase version 5-30mins later.)

about the installation itself there will surely come up puppet, but since now
i'm glad when the other work is done.

cheers, andi