You don't have to require wiki-style formatting.  If you give them
something like the markdown editor on StackOverflow , they won't really
care or notice.  Then you strip/re-encode on the backend to ensure it's
okay.  If people care about not being able to do random new things, they'll
complain... and then they'll live

The legacy systems at TheDailyBeast.com allowed for anything in them when I
started there.  One of the top things we needed to do on a CMS migration
was drop that, so we could control layouts and future designs.  When we
merged with Newsweek , luckily they had just gone through that process --
and we could leverage an army of scripts, test suites, and their on-call
contract agency to proofread and manually audit everything that passed the
test suites.  The financial costs on this were very significant, and it was
complete-fucking-misery for every developer working on this stuff.

In the past year I've consulted to 5 other major publishers on Operations /
Revenue and Tech Platforms - every single one has been suffering from
allowing HTML on the page, and has been investing heavily on trying to get
HTML out.  Once it's in there, you get very constrained on future upgrades
and design , and it breaks ad units like crazy.  You can't control as much
with CSS, you have sections overflowing into others, and -- unless you were
lucky enough to have some sort of HTML cleanup serverside, you almost
always end up with some malformed HTML that can/will break the pages.  Even
though it's content, you manage to accumulate a ton of technical debt
allowing HTML in there.