Sorry a bit confused about the types/locations of data you're talking about.

Also I checked and pyramid does not have encrypted cookies.  Sorry. I
thought I read that someone had released a package; maybe it was a 3rd
party plugin.

Anyways...

If your session has some sort of abstract 'account identifier' in it, and
that matches up with some sort of database or hardcoded user info, you
should be fine with a signed cookie.
If your session has some sort of 'credentials' in it that the API needs to
work (like a login/password), I would encrypt that payload.  I would also
prefer to route it through https if the encryption is not very strong.