Thank you for the insight. Looking over the SignedCookieSessionFactory
<http://docs.pylonsproject.org/projects/pyramid/en/latest/api/session.html#pyramid.session.SignedCookieSessionFactory>,
I have two questions. How do I ensure that HTTPS is used? What is the
"secure flag" of the session cookie?

Jonathan, you mentioned my description of types/locations of data being
confusing. To clarify, I'm creating a web app on my server that grabs data
from third-party software on a remote server using API routes the
third-party has provided. This other party handles all of the
authentication--my web app sends users to the third party's login page to
login, and then they are redirected back to my app. That redirection
includes authorization tokens which my app uses to build a user context.
This user context is included in API requests to the third-party's system
in order to authorize the calls. If this context were visible, it would not
be difficult to take the user context tokens from the request. These tokens
could be used to make other calls to the third party's system, so it's
important that they are kept secret.