On Mon, 22 Aug 2016, Andi Vajda wrote:

On Sun, 10 Jul 2016, Andi Vajda wrote:

Thank you Jan for starting this thread !

Of the nine people that responded, three were interested in a new 6.x release, with two offering to help make a new release happen.

A couple of others showed interest in JCC only.

Here is what I can propose:
 1. I can make sure a PyLucene can be buildt from Lucene 6.x and runs.

PyLucene can now be built from Lucene's branch 6.x, on Mac OS X.
It builds, loads, can run a couple of simple tests like test_Binary.py and
test_BinaryDocument.py.

Here is how one can reproduce what I just did:
 - cd ~/apache
- git clone --branch branch_6x https://github.com/apache/lucene-solr.git lucene.6x
 - cd <pylucene dir>
 - svn update
   make sure you have a modern setuptools (if you are on linux, the
   setuptools patching done by JCC to be able to build a plain shared
   library most likely needs to be refreshed or maybe even eliminated).
 - _install/bin/pip uninstall setuptools
 - _install/bin/pip install setuptools
 - cd jcc
 - ../_install/bin/python setup.py build install
 - cd ..
 - make sources (this copies the lucene tree from the github tree cloned)
 - make compile install

If all worked, you can then:
 - _install/bin/python
 >>> import lucene
 >>> lucene.initVM()
 - _install/bin/python test/test_Binary.py

I have a Python virtual env installed in pylucene/_install, this helps with keeping different versions of software separate.

 2. Volunteers should then help in porting old 4.x tests, if they still
    apply, and import new tests from the current Lucene suite as they see
    fit.

All other tests need to be carefully ported to match all the numerous API changes and disappeared classes. For similar reasons, the extensions jar does not build and is not currently included in the build. Its source java classes need to be refreshed as tests get refreshed to 6.x.

PyLucene now builds and passes all its tests on Mac OS X and Linux.
It is thus in a state where a release candidate could be built and submitted for review.

A volunteer is requested to build and test PyLucene's trunk on Windows. If noone comes forward, I intend to try to release PyLucene 6.2 in a few weeks, still.

Thanks !

Andi..

Andi..

 3. Once everyone involved is happy with test coverage (which was never
    exhaustive and need not be), a new release can be rolled and the
    Lucene PMC put to contribution again for votes.

If any of these steps end up stalling, no new release happens and the PyLucene subproject gets shutdown, eventually.

As for JCC, regardless of what happens to PyLucene itself, I'd very much like to port it to Python 3. I've already done this once, the port is available in a branch [1]. It 'just' needs to be refreshed. I intend to eventually get to this, unless someone with a stronger itch beats me to it.

Andi..

[1] http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lucene/pylucene/branches/python_3/jcc/