> I also notice that the same place that has APBS has this site that
> computes electrostatics from a PDB file and returns a PQR file.  This
> would be lovely for people like me to use for the calculations.  Now
> how can I use the PQR file to create an electrostatic surface with
> pymol?

A PQR file is like a PDB file, but it includes charge and radius
information that is used by programs like APBS to generate electrostatic
potential surfaces.  PyMOL can generate PQR files (e.g. via the APBS
Plugin), as can the PDB2PQR web portal that you found on the APBS website.
If you can't get APBS installed locally, you may be able to use the APBS
web portal (https://gridport.npaci.edu/apbs/) to run the APBS
calculations.  I don't think that's as convenient as APBS+PyMOL, but it's
definately an option if you can't get APBS installed.

Hopefully, some Mac-savvy person will be able to help you with the Fortran
problems.

-michael