Peter & Gabrielle,

Though I can't say for certain what Gabrielle is seeing, generally speaking
there is some ambiguity with visualization tools as to how map data is to
treated:  Some map file formats are normalized by convention (in the file
data itself) and others do not.  Some visualization tools automatically
normalize maps upon reading, others do not.

PyMOL's default behavior is dependent upon map file type: CCP4 and
O/BRIX/DSN6 maps are automatically normalized upon reading (disable via
"normalize_*" settings), other maps types are not.  PyMOL's normalization is
a straight statistical average of all map points -- this may or may not be
what you want.

If migrating to PyMOL from another tool, then it is definitely worth
comparing how the maps are being represented by creating an equivalent
figure in both, making sure that they match, and if they do not, then
figuring out why not.

DeLano Scientific LLC
Subscriber Support Services
mailto:del...@delsci.info

"Not yet a PyMOL Subscriber, but want to support the project?  Email
sa...@delsci.com to quote your lab, school, or employer.  Thank you for
sponsoring this open-source endeavor!" -WLD