Hi,

(replying to my own message)

On Thu, 2012-12-13 15:52  EST,  Robert Campbell
<robert.campb...@queensu.ca> wrote:

> Hi Jon,
>
> On Thu, 2012-12-13 16:09  EST,  Jonathan Grimes <jonat...@strubi.ox.ac.uk>
> wrote:
>
> >   Hi All,
> >
> >    I have 2 different states of the same molecule......different
> > conformations generated from MD, so the same number of Calpha atoms,
> > with a direct 1:1 mapping between Calphas with the same residue
> > numbering.
> >
> >    I would like to draw a "bond" between equivalent C-alpha atoms, and I
> > will then ramp colour along the bond, say blue-white-red.
> >
> >    Could I get advice how to draw a bond between 2 Calpha atoms (same
> > resi) from different states
>
> I have a script for drawing a cylinder (you can specify the radius and the
> beginning and ending colors) between two atoms.  The script is at:
>
> http://pldserver1.biochem.queensu.ca/~rlc/work/pymol/draw_cylinder_cgo.py
>
> First "run" the script via the "File" menu or via the command line:
>
> run draw_cylinder_cgo.py
>
> You will then have two new functions defined "draw_cylinder" and
> "draw_cylinder_cgo".  The former allows you to pick two atoms to draw the
> cylinder between:
>
>     draw_cylinder name, atom1, atom2, radius, start_color, end_color
>
>     where each atom is a standard PyMOL selection (defaults to pk1 and
> pk2) and color is a 3-element RGB tuple defining the color
>     of the cylinder (where each value of R, G and B is between 0 and 1
>     inclusive).  The colors default to (1,1,0).
>

> Alternatively, draw_cylinder_cgo takes as arguments the start and end
> coordinates of the vector in place of atom1 and atom2.

I could add more instructions here.  You can specify the colours by
name and if you have picked the atoms with the mouse you can easily do
something like:

  draw_cylinder dist1, start_color=red, end_color=yellow

and it will default to using atom selections "pk1" and "pk2" and a radius
of 0.1 A.

Cheers,
Rob
--
Robert L. Campbell, Ph.D.
Senior Research Associate/Adjunct Assistant Professor