I'm only running as root for testing purposes instead of manually entering
information for the xauth allow list. I've been doing it for quite some
time, and it's always worked fine with native OpenCL/OpenGL interop as well
as with pycuda's interop so I don't think it's the issue.

Just to confirm though, I went ahead and tested with non-root and the only
difference is that it indicates that a segmentation fault occurs during the
cl calls:

> DISPLAY=:0 python gl_particle_animation.py
<pyopencl.Platform 'NVIDIA CUDA' at 0x2aadbe0>
Xlib:  extension "NV-GLX" missing on display "P".
zsh: segmentation fault (core dumped)  DISPLAY=:0 python
gl_particle_animation.py

--
Aaron