IMHO, *.pyc files should not be distributed with a binary pypy. This is probably an issue for the team who supply the pypy for travis-ci.org (since the __pycache__ files do not appear in the nightly or release builds on pypy.org) - I think they live at https://launchpad.net/~pypy <https://launchpad.net/%7Epypy>
Matti