let me explain some more.  I have may have thrown people with my use of
"distribution".
I just meant installed packages that you get from pypi or wherever, not the
pypy distribution itself.

e.g. one of our nose test cases installs and then uninstalls INITools (from
pypi)
it's not expecting to find a __pycache__ folder when doing an uninstall,
but it's there in the travis build,
despite the "installed-files.txt" manifest (in the egg-info dir) listing
normal inline *.pyc files

that's not so bad, except that locally, I don't know how to "turn on"
__pycache__ folders for pypy so I can troubleshoot and get a workaround.
I only ever get inline *.pyc files.

here's the travis log for that one test. It's got some of my custom
logging,
so not so clear what's going on, but you can see me logging the contents of
the __pycache__ dir,
as the code attempts to clear the initools pkg directory.
http://travis-ci.org/#!/pypa/pip/builds/1996370

thanks
Marcus