On 09/20/2015 09:27 AM Armin Rigo wrote:
Hi Eric,

Thanks for this list that summarizes the situation!  It's information
that we should put or link to from somewhere (the FAQ?).

Maybe it should be put in the compatibility wiki, but that wiki looks
really, really outdated now, to the point that fijal suggested that we
might as well close it down.  The experiment of crowd-sourcing this
wiki has failed.

Nowadays you can, more and more often, go to the other project's
website or PyPI page and see a mention about the PyPy compatibility
status there.  But it doesn't help much when gathering a list of all
GUI toolkits available (say).  So I would say that we should clean up
from our wiki all projects with "not working" or "unknown" status (go
check yourself what that project's PyPI page says), and then update it
to contain at least Eric's list in the "GUI" section.  Does anyone
feel like doing that?  If not, we will close down the wiki and add the
list to the FAQ with a date.

A bientôt,

Armin.

1) If you ask me, the most important place to have up to date
top level info presenting pypy as you'd like it presented,
with references to further info is:

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PyPy

2) The other thing I'd like to see is less dead links.

Maybe someone could see if pypy can run
    https://pypi.python.org/pypi/LinkChecker
and set up a cron job to pester the page maintainers? ;-)
(disclaimer: have not looked at LinkChecker, but seems appropriate)

(might have to tweak it to detect dead wiki links though, since they
produce an invitation to create a new page, not a 404 -- but you'd
think wiki software would come with a tool for this ?)

3) IMO most wiki searchers will just be looking for info, and
will not be able or not have the time to contribute, but if they
could run a script that generated useful info about the compatibility
of pypy to their platform/software context in the form of a  report
that could be pasted as the body of an email and sent for automatic processing
(modulo spam control ;-/), and which contained an an html section to extend a
compatibility table, then maybe crowd sourcing would work a little better?

The qubes-os.org project does this to generate a table of hardware compatibility
to help people identify CPUs and chipsets that can run their os with full or
partial success. Their hardware compatibility page is table is
    https://www.qubes-os.org/hcl/
they explain how to contribute new data here:
    https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/HCL/
Maybe something analogous could be done for pypy compatibility?

4) BTW, they seem to be using cpython2.7 a lot, and I'm sure speedup would be
good ;-)
It's an interesting project. Security by compartmentalization, using xen and
fedora, with
others coming.

Just thought I'd throw something into the idea pot ;-)

Regards,
Bengt Richter
(lurking mostly, off doing other things ;-)